Cost of IVF
At Dallas Fort-Worth Fertility Associates, we provide our patients with the highest quality care while doing our best to minimize the cost of IVF. Before providing the exact cost of IVF, our physicians need to understand more about your specific fertility health. The cost of IVF is directly related to the patient’s treatment plan.
The first step in determining your specific treatment plan is setting an appointment for a consultation with a reproductive endocrinologist at Dallas Fort-Worth Fertility Associates. During the initial consult, the physician will review your health history, insurance coverage (if applicable) and understand your family building goals. Based on these discussions, the physician will recommend a protocol and the next step that best suits you. When you receive your protocol, it’s important to understand that the following items will impact the cost of your treatment:
- Amount of Medications
- Fresh vs. Frozen Embryo Transfer
- Number of IVF Cycles
- The number of monitoring visits during stimulation
- Egg or Embryo Storage Fees (long term)
- Embryo Genetic Testing (also known as preimplantation genetic testing)
- Initial Consult & Bloodwork
- Third Party Reproduction (such as sperm donor, egg donor, surrogates or gestational carriers)
Does Insurance Cover IVF?
While insurance doesn’t always cover IVF, your insurance may cover a portion of the expenses. For example, some insurance companies cover monitoring (visits to the office for bloodwork and ultrasounds while your eggs are growing) or some of your medications.
Some insurance plans also offer something called lifetime maximums. This is the maximum dollar amount that an insurance plan will cover, over your lifetime, for fertility treatments. The insurance company will often provide a dollar amount and it’s up to you how you’d like to spend it. There are strategies to maximize this benefit, so please consult with our insurance coordinators before you proceed with fertility treatments.
Because insurances and costs can vary based on your individual plan, we recommend the following steps in order to maximize your benefits.
- Set an initial consult with Dallas Fort-Worth Fertility Associates. A consult is your first meeting with one of our fertility specialists. This is the information gathering stage. The goal is to understand your fertility treatment options, cost of IVF and a suggested next step should you decide to proceed.
- While setting your appointment, please provide your insurance carrier and plan number. Our staff will verify your benefits and ensure initial diagnostic tests are covered (we find that at minimum most insurance companies cover these). Ultimately, it is also important that you also check your benefits with your insurance carrier.
- At the initial consult, the staff at Dallas Fort-Worth Fertility Associates will have a copy of your insurance benefits. The provider will take these benefits into consideration while recommending the treatment that is best for you. For example, some insurance companies will require several IUI treatments before proceeding to IVF. All insurance coverage will be taken into consideration to lower the cost of IVF.
If you are a patient that must pay out of pocket for all treatment costs, self-pay options will be reviewed during your consultation. Dallas Fort-Worth Fertility Associates also partners with ARC Fertility who offers convenient payment plans.
What Insurance Plans Do You Accept?
At Dallas Fort-Worth Fertility Associates, we partner with the following insurance plans:
- Aetna (all plans) Health EZ
- Accountable PPO IMS PPO
- Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO*/POS*/PPO MultiPlan PPO
- Cigna HMO*/POS*/PPO Principal Edge PPO
- Coalition America PPO Private Healthcare Systems PPO
- EHN PPO United Healthcare (all plans)
- Galaxy PPO Unicare Performance PPO/Classic PPO
- Great West Healthcare PPO USA MCO
- Humana PPO Viant/Beech Street/ppoNext PPO
- Healthsmart PPO
While we attempt to keep this list up to date, it’s ultimately up to the patient to verify that their employer offers fertility benefits under their specific plan. Please note that this list will change periodically depending upon contracting, but Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates tries to contract with most insurance companies as a general principle.
We recommend requesting records from past providers if you have undergone any fertility treatments prior to attending Dallas Fort-Worth Fertility Associates. This will ensure the physician has a clear understanding of your fertility history.
The first step in determining the full cost of your IVF treatment plan is booking a consult. We look forward to seeing you at Dallas Fort-Worth Fertility Associates.
About the Author:
Samuel Chantilis, M.D. is a highly trained and experienced infertility specialist in his hometown of Dallas, TX. He is board certified in reproductive endocrinology and infertility, and has been practicing in Texas since completing his training in 1993. Dr. Chantilis was a faculty member at UT Southwestern Medical School for five and a half years before entering private practice in January 1999 at Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas. Dr. Chantilis has been the leading provider of IVF services at the Presbyterian Hospital ARTS program since 1999, having conducted approximately 2,500 egg retrievals.