Yes, You Can Travel During Fertility Treatment
But Not During the Active Phase of an IVF Cycle
Summer brings out the traveler in all of us, but if you are in the midst of fertility treatment, you may be wondering if you can take a trip. At Dallas Fort Worth Fertility Associates, we always work with our patients to try to accommodate their busy lives. Just talk to us about your situation, and we will be happy to advise you.
Please call us before your trip to discuss your medications and where you are in your cycle. We prefer that you avoid traveling during fertility treatment, especially IVF. If you must take off for business or a planned vacation, please keep the following guidelines in mind.
Traveling During Fertility Treatment with Your Medications
- If you are flying, contact your airline to find out what they require when you are traveling during infertility treatment with medications and syringes.
- Contact us to get a letter from our physicians stating that you need to travel with your fertility medications (this is especially necessary if you will need to administer an injection during your flight). Always declare to the TSA before screening that you are carrying medications that will need to be screened separately.
- Don’t forget to take extra accessories if you are taking injections (extra needle tips, hand sanitizer, alcohol wipes, etc.).
- Bring a sharps container so that you can properly dispose of your needle tips.
- It is best to package your medication in clear, sealable plastic bags so they are easy to see.
- If your medication needs to be refrigerated, use frozen gel packs (the TSA expects the gel packs to be frozen solid—not slushy or mushy).
If you are flying, go to: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/travelers-disabilities-and-medical-conditions for complete information about regulations concerning traveling with medication.
If you are traveling out of the United States, please check with us before having travel vaccinations (i.e., hepatitis A, typhoid, etc.). Some vaccinations may not be recommended for patients who are in the midst of a fertility treatment cycle.
If You Need Fertility Treatment Away From Home
Contact Dallas Fort Worth Fertility Associates before your trip, and we will do our best to give you the name of a facility you can contact if you have an emergency or an issue while you are away. In addition, it’s important to:
- Bring copies of your medication schedule with you (preferably at least one hard copy, as well as a copy that you have saved on a phone or computer).
- Bring contact information for your pharmacy, our fertility clinic and your insurance company.
For more information about traveling during fertility treatment, contact us at Dallas Fort Worth Fertility Associates in Dallas or Southlake. Bon voyage!